Saturday, August 18, 2007

Alot can happen in a week!

So, I have a week of my new job under my belt. Things are going really well. I am catching on quick and feel real comfortable with everyone. So YEAH!

James had his GI appointment on Monday, and of course same ol' same ol'. Does not weigh enough and talks of a NG tube and now fundo. I don;t think so. First off how in the world would you do a nose tube on a very strong, determined, 2 year. I can not even suck boogers out of his nose when he can't get them all out by blowing. Do you really think he his going to leave it in there if I was successful in inserting through his nose. NOOOOOO! These doctors sometimes you want to smack them upside the head and say do you have children? As far as the fundo, I know my son has reflux and it his hindering his weight gain, but I have read alot about the fundo and I just don't like the idea of if you have to throw up you can't so it just stays there. Speaking of which he does not throw up very often unless of course he is sick. When he does throw up it usually is because of something he is eating got caught or occasionally on his medicine, I know it is great for reflux and if we can;t get weight on him like we should I would think about a feeding tube in the stomache with out a fundo!!! So cross your fingers. We are going to see another GI for a 2nd opinion as well as a dietician/nutritionist who by the way specializes in preemies!!! Hard to come by. So we will see.

Tuesday he had a hearing test. He was so good throughout the whole testing. I was thinking he would not be cooperative, do to them having to stick things in his ear, but he was great and past with no significant problems. Our Neruologist ordered this test just to make sure for speech he had no hearing issues. Since he is behind in speech. So another YEAH!

Friday we had our 2 year old well check. Which went as I predicted. Weight 5th %, Length 30th% and Head 25th%. At least we are marks ont he CHARTS, which I just want to rip to shreds!!

We have finally found a new Physical therapist, Speech therapist/Feeding so it was a good break while it lasted. But, I am anxious to get started. Our OT mentioned to me again that at 2.9 years of age he will be going to preschool, I think I had a heart attack. That is only 8 months away. OMG can I stay with him. James does not leave my side unless he is with my husband, my good friend or occasionally my mother-in-law, but if I can take him with me, ie: the dentist, hair cut etc. he is always with me. I guess it shall be good for the both of us.

I just worry he has been through so much to be alive I can't let myself depend on someone else to care for his well being. I am afraid. I have already decided he is not going to drive until he is at least 30 something.

Well, hope everyone is well. I enjoy reading all your blogs and your miracle children. Tracy

2 comments:

Jamie and Jill said...

Sounds like he is doing awesome.

I agree with you and would not do a fundo either. Too scary and it's permanent!

On another note, the school I teach at (right next to my house) has a special needs pre-school where John will attend (I am not putting him in for another 2 years though.) Anyhow, wouldn't that be fun for the boys to be in school together?

Kellie said...

It sounds like he is doing awesome! Our 25 wkr unfortunately ended up getting a fundo (he had a gj tube first) due to severe aspiration and lung damage from his reflux. I agree that it is not a good step for someone who is not having life threatening consequences from the GERD. I hope the 2nd opinion and the preemie dietician will be of more help.

As for the special-needs preschool...I can't help you there. When our 3 year old 30 weeker rode away on the school bus for his first day last year, I was bawling like a baby. It did get better and he did GREAT and made huge improvements with the extra OT and sensory therapy he got at school. Congrats on the great 2 year appt overall :)