Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Where to begin

Well, we had our GI appointment, Monday, and the same. Except we now are on Zantac which we were when he was in the NICU and home for a little while. We also are giving him Mylanta in between meals. I feel like MEDICINE WOMAN. This is our schedule, AM Prevacid, Reglan and Mylanta, Pm Reglan,Zantac and Mylanta, Dinner PM, Prevacid, Reglan and Zantac. No wonder he does not want to eat his whole day is MEDICINES. But if it works then it's fine.

Today was a great day eating wise, well the best in about a month. He actually had a pretty good lunch and a hearty dinner including a bowl of vanilla ice cream with ovaltine on top, my husbands creations.

Tomorrow we go for a barium swallow study. We see another GI Doc next month for a 2nd opinion and then we decide on the feeding tube. I am more at peace with this idea as well as my husband. Especially when I read other blog mom's post about blenderized diets, I would love to be able to feed James more healthy fattening foods. But we are going to try and manage his reflux with meds and hopefully get him to put on some pounds. There were recent talks of doing a Fundo but after lots of research and talking with another mom and our GI I don't feel James is in need, he does throw up but it is not our main problem and is only once in a while. It is my understanding that the Fundo is for severe vomiting and life threatening issues. Although James weighing only 19.12lbs and at the beginning of this year January was 18.4lbs. is severe and life threatening for growth reasons I strongly do not think a fundo will help this issue. The feeding tube however may be a good idea. One of which they should of done before leaving the NICU, But can't go back i time. So I hope what ever decision is made it is the correct one. But I would relish the day I don't have to hear the word failure to thrive and WEIGHT GAIN UGGGG!

Other than that my job is going really well and it has been the best thing for me. I also got my first pay check already woo hoo, only a weeks worth so it is pretty much gone, I need to learn to budget. But most of it was spent on my little man, a new toy, like he needed that. It is so funny how we change when we have children, I used to be very selfish, I guess because I could but now when I go to the mall or such I am looking to buy James stuff no longer me. Funny, I love it though and can't wait until CHRISTMAS, one of my favorites.

I have a girlfriend coming out this Labor day from California, we went to high school together. I can't wait to see her it has been a while. I need a girls night out.

Thanks Tracy.

2 comments:

Laura said...

i have regrets like that myself with my own 24 weeker. he is five now in kindergarten and has been tubie free for about 18 months now.
even with the feeding tube he remained a little guy. i guess he is wired that way.
i would advise you to not go with a fundo as well. i'm glad we didn't.
our guy would not eat at all so it was a huge challenge just to teach him how to eat and that it was not a scary, death defying activity with his paralyzed vocal cord.
we went the blended diet route and there are a few posts in my blog about it.
good luck to you!

Shannon said...

After reading your post I have to respond. DO NOT do a feeding tube! It makes reflux MUCH worse and could possibly ruin what you have now. Ashton fed by mouth and then they did a tube (I wish I knew what I knew now then because never in a million years would I have let them do the g tube!!!!) His reflux of course got MUCH worse which started causing life threatening events where he would stop breathing. He was admitted to the ICU and ended up with a gj tube. That has been 19months now and no where in sight do I see a g tube to try and get back to a much more normal life. Talk to me more if you like. I would be willing to answer ANY questions.